Tuesday, September 17, 2013

What is healthy?

This morning, I was on Facebook, I know, I hate Facebook, and I saw a picture of a girl named Stella.  She was beautiful and full figured and had a great smile.  The picture was in black and white, she was in her black strapless bra and black underwear, and she looked great.  The caption on it read something to the effect of here's to all the people who called me names, here's to the girl who taunted me until high school and called me lard because I didn't look like her, here's to me celebrating my own happiness in my own body. 

I thought it was great.  The last few comments were really what made me stop and think for a few minutes.  The very last one was saying how awesome it is that women everywhere are accepting their bodies and being happy with themselves.  The one just on top of it was from a young man who said something to the effect that he thought it was a horrible thing how unhealthy she was and I can't believe you would even think that's acceptable and he went on for a bit.  And his comments got me to thinking about it more. 

I understand there are always going to be critics and there will always be people who don't like what they don't understand, but, what I don't get it why do we have to judge a woman solely by the way she looks to determine her value?  How does he know if she's healthy or not, because she soft looking?  How does he know if she eats only organic food and has been working out regularly for the last few years to get to where she's at?  How dare you think that it's OK to sit and judge others?! 

But, is this whole response a learned behavior?  How did we get to a point where we think that stick figures are to be the example of what beauty is or ought to be?  I can't help but wonder if our society has done this to ourselves.  I mean yes, there is an obesity epidemic and yes there are lots of people who are very overweight, but, why do we have to assume that because a woman doesn't look like a Victoria's Secret Model that she's not worth it. 

I happen to find women with more meat on their bones very attractive.  I tend to like the idea of being able to hold on to something.  What's even more attractive is a woman who is confident.  A woman who struts when she walks and loves herself in spite of herself.  A woman whose smile will light up a room, no matter what she looks like.  A woman who truly loves being in her skin... no matter what her size is. 

I wonder when did we teach our kids that it's OK to be mean to others because they don't look like us.  I know that kids have been doing it for generations, but, what's wrong with teaching them that it's not OK to do so.  It's not OK to purposely hurt others to make yourself feel better.  I wonder how am I going to teach this to Piper, because, Kelsie, is doing really good at it.  (At least, I would hope so)  How do I tell Piper that just because a person doesn't look just like you, doesn't make them a bad person or anything like that, it just makes them different, just like everyone is different.  I try to tell her that our differences are what make us all unique.  I try to teach her that our goal should be to help others and if we cannot help others, at least don't hurt them.  I wonder if I am setting a good example for her.  I know that my road rage does tend to get the best of me sometimes, (there are so many bad drivers, and the teenagers are the worst!), but I try to make sure that she knows that we are here to help.  I don't know when I will figure it out, but, I hope that she is that light in the room.  The face that smiles so bright, everyone wants to be around it.  She has a beautiful soul and I am truly blessed that she chose me for her mom.  I hope that I do a good job teaching her.  

Anyhow, I couldn't sleep and had to get this out there.  Watched The Missing, not a scary movie, but, intense.  Needed a moment to think of something else.  I don't know where our society went wrong, but, I am trying to make it right, I can start with myself and hopefully give my girls the resources they need to make this world a better place for all of mankind.

On another note, I didn't have anyone try to convert me this week... That is nice.  I want to put this out there as well, I am very happy in my faith and beliefs.  Just because you don't believe them, doesn't make me wrong or right and it doesn't make you wrong or right, it just means we live in country where it's our right to choice whatever faith that we want.  And to those who think that the world is only 6,000 years old, I really disagree with that, and science has proven otherwise, but, if that's what you think, then go ahead.  Just don't try to tell me that I am the strange one because I don't quite trust what you're saying.  Night all, peace

No comments:

Post a Comment