Saturday, September 21, 2013

Disconnect

Last night, Thomas and I watched a movie with Jason Bateman, whom I love, called Disconnect.  It looked really good when I read about it at the Redbox, but, I had no idea what to expect.  By the end of the movie, I was crying, what else is new, and I really wanted to delete my Facebook account right then. 

I guess when I grew up, we didn't worry about bullies, because if we couldn't take care of it, then, we deserved to be bullied.  We weren't afraid of standing up for ourselves.  Yet, now, growing up in the digital age, there is such a huge difference in the way kids bully each other now.  I have seen more than what I would ever want, kids who go out and drink and do stupid things and then have it plastered all over social media.  One girl actually killed herself over the humiliation that it caused.  How sad!!  Suicide is never the answer, but, when everyone knows what you did or didn't do and there are pictures to prove it, wow, that really could be the end of the world for some.  So sad to think of the reality of it all. 

There was a couple who had lost a baby, and no longer talked to each other, so they found other ways to deal with their grief.  They became victims of identity theft.  It was hard for me to watch the man slowly cracking under the pressure of life. 

A reporter who was only out to get ahead and didn't realize the lives she would ruin in the process.  It was literally hard to watch it all unfold in front of me.. I wanted to hide under the sheets, but, it's reality for so many people. 

I love my life, and I am so happy grateful for everything that I have in it.  We all have our moments, and that's to be expected, but, wow.  I think I do live in a glass bubble where everyone is good and kind and true and no one is really out to hurt anyone and everyone in the process.  I kind of like to think of humans as being basically good, but, there are so many who are lonely and hopeless and don't have anywhere to turn to.  There are so many who internalize everything, you don't realize that they are a ticking time bomb, just waiting for someone to flip the switch.  Kind of hard to imagine that we have gotten to this point in our society.  We are more connected through our social media, and the Internet, yet, we can't seem to communicate to the ones who are in the same room with us.  We live in bigger houses, but, we don't know how to call it home.  We know entertainment, but no pleasure.  We talk more and listen less.  We have all this information yet we seem to be going backwards with out brain power. 

None of this really makes sense to me.  I keep thinking that we should be eating dinner together every night, kids should know what corporal punishment is.  I am a huge fan of making sure that cartoons are a Saturday morning treat.  I think I am old fashioned though... Anyhow, I have to go make dinner... green chicken enchiladas... with fresh green chilies and home grown yellow onions... it's going to be epic... I think even Kelsie is going to be home for dinner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment