Monday, February 23, 2015

Why do we watch it?

Yesterday, I went to the theater with my friend to go see 50 Shades of Grey.  She had no expectations of the movie and I was curious to see why other friends were raving about it.  I have not read the books, and maybe I will, maybe I won't. 

We get there, to the 11.00 am showing of it and the theater has maybe four other couples in there... I like to watch movies early, especially this kind.  Beat the rush kind of thing.  We sit down with our popcorn and red vines and water.  Watched 20 minutes of the movie house channel... I wish I had USA so I could watch the new show Dig, and then the previews start.  There were the funny ones that I found myself wanting to buy a ticket for already, though, right now, I couldn't tell you anything about it, just that it looked fun. 

The movie starts and I am taken in by it within the first few minutes... I have been really wanting to see what the hype was about, so, I am just waiting and wanting to like this movie from the get go.  It's a fun thing, I enjoyed it.  And then, the sex part came.  And I was not taken back by it, but, I was surprised how well done and intense it was for a scene.  The whole time, I am thinking wow, I'm sitting next to my best friend whom I would never watch something like this with, under normal circumstances.  And then there was more sex and more of other things which I won't ruin for you if you haven't already seen it.  The scenes, though well done, made me really uncomfortable to watch with Nessa next to me.  I am not here to talk about the whole act of what he did to her.  That part was completely consensual and nothing that happened was anything she didn't ask for.  With that in mind, what am I talking about today?  Well, here it is...

Why do we as a society think nothing of watching a movie that contains graphic violence, or play games that shows graphic violence and think nothing of it, and yet, when there is a movie that involves sex or hell any kind of affection, we shy away from it?  Take the last movie in the Twilight series.  The battle scene where it shows, in very clear detail, even more so with High Definition, people being slaughtered, blood spilt everywhere, throats being ripped out, people torn to shreds, so much violence holy shit is all I can say about it.  But, suggest that anyone has sex, it's considered taboo.  50 Shades didn't leave much to the imagination, but, there were no penis's and you pretty much see her boobies a lot.  Whatever, it's all good.

All I am saying here is for an act as natural as sex, why do we think it's so bad?  Let's face it, if you have made it to adulthood, you have probably had some sort of desire that can be considered sexual in nature.  And let's face it, at this very moment in time, out of 7 billion + people in the world, right now, how many are engaged in some sort of physically intimate act?  I would venture to say, a whole lot of them.  It's completely natural.  Everything about it, and not only that, it makes you feel good.  Your completion improves, your mood is elevated, you smile.  It's the best feeling there is.  To feel that intimate embrace of your partner.  However, killing people is not natural.  It's a fact of life, but it's not a natural thing.  And we sit in front of our televisions and computers and tablets and phones and watch death all the time.  Does it phase us to see the life fade out of someone's eyes, nope.  Not at all.  But two people kissing on screen and imply sex, that's not something we want our kids to watch. 

I have to say, that sometimes, it can get loud in my room.  I have had to tell Piper that it's Olympics and my bed squeaks and that is what it is.  I am scared to death to tell her about sex, it's not something I want her to concern herself with, but, I seem to not have any problems with her watching things about death.  I am just as guilty as the next person, but, I am not going to be that person anymore.  I will not be afraid to talk to her about something like that.  I will shy away from the horrors of the world, but, sex is not one of them. 

 And wow, people are up in arms about this movie.  Stating it's the manner in which he seduces her.  Why, it's not like BDSM is something that is new.  I would say in some form it's been around as long as sex has been around.  Which, has been forever.  Those who have never tried anything like that, are comfortable in saying that it's gross or it's dirty or it's disgusting.  Those who have either tried it, or live by it, know that it's got nothing to do with sex.  It's about trust and control. 

I have known many who have been into this lifestyle and it's not anything bad or gross, but to someone who has never seen or heard of it or read about it, then, I would say a word of caution.  Keep in mind that this a movie based on a fictional book of make-believe characters  who are larger than life.  I have yet to ever met anyone with a room like that, though, everyone I know, wishes they had one, or at least, has thought about an ideal play room.  I hope that you will see this and realize that in a book that is fiction, it's not meant to be taken as a real thing.  This is someone's fantasy land and that's all.  Does watching it make you friskies?  I would say yes.  Does everyone want to run out and buy a flogger?  Not likely.  Does it peak your curiosity as to what this really is like?  For some, yes.  For others, I am sure that they are turned off totally by it, but that's ok.  They make lots of movies every year for everyone to either like or not.  It's all a matter of personal preference. 

If you want to go see it, then, take yourself out and go.  If you don't want to see it, then don't go.  I for one would much rather watch two people go at it, then two people tear each other apart... but that's just my opinion for today.  I will be staying away from violence for a while, I can't understand the need for it so much these days.  But I will be watching love... Good, fun, dirty, sloppy, wet love.  Love really does make the world go around... Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment