Monday, February 9, 2015

Quality of Education

Despite the fact that I am no longer in high school, I do tend to have a lot of interaction with high school students.  I was not cool, ever, in high school and for whatever strange reason, I am now... Whatever, I think it's the tattoos :)  Anyhow, in speaking with them recently, I have discovered an injustice to these students and I wanted to pose this question to you all as well, which I will ask at the end of telling you all what's going on. 

These students, who because of their age and such, I won't name, but they have brought it to my attention about some things that are really bothering them all.  They are good kids, they want to learn, they have goals, and want to have awesome careers and I think that's beyond great.  I was always lost when trying to decide what I wanted to be when I was younger.  They can be sassy at times and snarky as well, but, overall, they are good hearted, kind kids. 

They go to school at a place that seems to be a last resort for some, and that's cool.  They like where they are and don't want to go anywhere else.  But, there is a student who also attends this place and is the most disruptive kid there.  I have been told that this student has it in for one teacher, and only one.  For the sake of writing here, I will give this person a name, makes it easier in writing, let's call them Pat-remember SNL, Pat and Chris.  Pat will not be respectful to the teachers or the learning environment to the point where it is disrupting class.  Pat is on the phone in class, Pat is listening to music in class, and the worst part of it, Pat is verbally abusive to the staff.  Not just any staff member, because most of them don't tolerate it, but the staff member who is unable to use discipline in any form, whether it's detention or telling Pat to leave class, or even suspension.  Nothing, so, Pat calls this staff member names.  Bad horrible names that no one should have to endure while working and trying to help other students learn.  Like, dick, pussy, faggot, asshole, bastard, cock sucker, and anything else Pat can think of. 

Now these students are upset.  They are upset because they are held to a higher standard.  If they are having a bad day and are snarky to the teacher, they get detention.  If they reply in a manner that a staff member doesn't like, they can be suspended for a day.  Each one of these kids are at a loss as to how to handle what's going on.  Pat never gets in trouble.  Pat could be asked to leave class, but, is soon to return and be even more disruptive.  They have come to me for help and I have no clue what to tell them.  How can we let this go on, with a student so disrespectful, and yet, they get away with it.  Every day.  I have been told by one of these students that it's because Pat is worth more money.  How fucked up is that?  Allowing this kind of behavior because Pat is making the school money is so scandalous and repulsive and appalling that I can't even describe it accurately!!!

Pat is also on probation for I don't know what.  Pat's probation officer has been told that Pat is doing well in school and he isn't a problem at all.  Now, the kids here are upset because they know that if Pat gets a violation of probation, then Pat will be pulled out of school and sent to the juvenile detention center for the duration of the probation.  Yet, it seems that Pat will not have anyone tell the probation officer what a total and complete waste of space Pat is.  One of the kids that is having a problem with this will tell Pat off and it seems to shut them up for a while.  And while Pat is such a big talker at school, if outside the school area, Pat seems to lose all of that audacity and courage and just hangs the head and says nothing.  Strange I think, why Pat is allowed to get away with this. 

What can be done?  What can I tell these kids?  How can help them?  I don't know, I ask for your advice on this one, because, I do know the staff members and no matter what, no person should have to endure that kind of abuse at work.  The fear is though, if it's put in writing from this staff person, they will be fired... Help, please... Thank you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment