Monday, March 25, 2013

Politics and Religion :)

Last night, before going to bed, Thomas and I were talking about different political ideas and things that are hot spots for many Americans.  So, since my mother always told me not to talk about politics and religion with others if I wasn't ready for a fight, here I go with my rant and views of many problems that our country is facing, but, with a few suggestions on how to fix them.

My favorite topic is always and going to always be gay marriage.  To me, it's just two people who want to spend the rest of their lives together in a ceremony with friends and family present.  They say their vows, they make that commitment, and they kiss and have a party to celebrate the beginning of a new life together.  I am so sick and tired of people who say that gay people can't be married because of what a book says.  That book also said that women and children were not to speak until spoken to and women were not to ask questions of others.  They are to wait until they are in a private room at home where they can then question their husbands about whatever they wanted to know.  To be honest, I really don't put my faith into that book, there are too many questions that I myself have been asking recently that just don't make any sense.  Time lines don't add up and there are too many inconsistencies.  I hate that others are made to suffer because you are trying to push your religion on to them.  I am all for freedom of religion but how far are you going to take it?  Your beliefs are great and they work for you, but, why do you have to push it onto anyone else?  I have my own rights, and I think it's great that you are concerned with my soul... I don't have a soul.  I am a soul.  I have a body.  Now, when our founding fathers wrote the Declaration of Independence, they said that all were created equal and have the right to pursue life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  I want to note that it says all... We all know that when they wrote it, they were talking about rich, white land owning males, but it doesn't say that.  Nor does it say everyone except for women, or gay people.  It was made for all of us.  They also knew that the older we got as a nation, we would grow and evolve into a bigger nation, our technology would grow to allow us to do things they could only come up with in dreams... But we did it.  And now, we are faced with bigots and angry people who spew hate and discontent to the masses because they don't understand or like the choices someone else is making.  These are not second class citizens we are talking about here.  These are sons and daughters from every walk of life, regardless of what religion they say they are a part of.   They serve in the military and they fight for our country.  They fight for your right to use your religion to persecute them for being different.  Nice.

The next big that we talked about was unions.  The worker's unions and the people who don't know anything about unions and what they are about... So let me tell you a few things about unions.  First, they were designed to help the workers to get jobs, to make sure the work environment was a safe one, that the equipment they worked with was up to standards.  They bargained for your wages to get you the best pay they could.  They could prevent you from being fired unfairly.  They are about the people, not the company.  Now, businesses don't really like unions.  They have blamed rising costs on the evil unions and have tried to push them out of as many places as they can.  The union is made up of hard working people who do the same kind of job.  Operators, Teamsters, Steel Workers, Locomotives, you name it, they are there to make sure you are protected and safe.  That is what the union does.  They are not in it for the companies because they make the companies responsible and have to use proper equipment and safe working conditions and making the company operate more efficient, which actually keeps the cost of operating the company down.  They protect your writing if your a writer.  It boggles the mind how many people could benefit from being in the unions.  I will belong to one.  I think they have been given a very bad reputation by business people who want to take short cuts and pay the least amount of money to do so.  It makes me sick what the business world has done to the unions.  Support them.  They are there for you!

Lastly, politicians.  I am not a fan of these people.  I like that the Latin word translates to blood sucking tic.  I know lots of them really are blood sucking bastards!  I keep thinking that it's such a shame that our country, that was once the greatest place to live has become what it is... I can't even find the right word for it.  We are about making sure the big business stays in business, and that it doesn't matter if the materials that we now buy are dangerous to our health, we had them made as cheaply as possible.  Never mind the lead in the paint.  Never mind that it could kill you, it was made by a very nice young lady who makes less in one week than I do in one day.  And that figure is probably wrong, it's more like a month.  We have forgotten why we were a great country.  We had jobs for people, we were rich, we had everything going for us... so what happened?  Where was the breakdown?  I think today, I'm going to blame this fall on insurance companies.  Somewhere along the lines we stopped doing what was best for the people, and started to do what was best for our pockets.  And really, it wasn't that I have ever made that decision, it was the thousands of doctors who wanted to line their pocket books.  They began to take money for seeing as many people in a day that they can.  They get some extra money if they prescribe you that anti-depressant, or anti-inflammatory.  They have sold their souls for some money.  Why?  It's not like they can take it with them when they die.  And then the idea of these wonder drugs became the best idea ever!!!  We can ban things that are natural, not tell anyone the best way to deal with health problems that will work, for the majority, of the people... How would they make money if the dis-ease is cured?  Hmmm... That one's a toughie.  Take away all the natural ways to take care of ourselves, tell us we need to have the latest and greatest drugs, tell us that Cannabis and Hemp are the devil and we can lose everything we have worked so hard for if we have it in our possession.  That might be a good plan.  Too bad I'm not a pharmaceutical rep.   We as consumers, as a whole, have been the ones who have done it.  We are our own worst enemy!  I don't think that we can really place the blame on any one group or a few groups of people.  It's been in the making for a few generations now.  What now though?  I have seen in the recent weeks, two young kids in Ohio who raped a girl who was too drunk to say no, and now, they get to spend a lot of time in jail thinking about, when is too drunk, too drunk to make a coherent decision.  Where did this breakdown occur?  That one is easy.  It's our jobs, as parents, to teach our kids right from wrong.  It's our job to make sure that they are responsible adults when they get 'out there'.  We are the ones who should be telling our kids about sex and drugs and the dangers of being a teenager in the world of instant gratification and YouTube.   Social media has come to a point where if I put it out there, in my own opinion, it's taken the wrong way and used against me.  I try not to put pictures of Piper on the Internet, she's too young and innocent to do that to.  I try to make sure that what I am saying is not going to be used against me.  I know what the laws are, and when I was young, I wanted to break as many as possible.  I have a past, just like anyone else that I know.  There are some parts that are fun to tell stories to people, and there are stories that aren't glamorous at all.
  And for the most of my early 20's I would need a special committee of the Senate to tell me what did I really do at that time :)

It's up to us to make it better.  It's up to us to bring sense and reason back to our world.  It's up to us to do something, right or wrong and take a stand for what you believe in.  Everyone has to believe in something.  I believe in me!


No comments:

Post a Comment