Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Tipping is not a town in China...

The last week, I was reading online about a waitress who was fired for taking a picture of a friends' check that said, "I give God 10%, why should I give you 18?"  This got me to thinking about the men and women all over who work in a service type of job that for most, rely on getting a tip for service that was done well.

I was a waitress in a pizza place for a few short months, and while, it wasn't the longest job in my career, I did learn that those who are trying to pay the bills on a meager salary of less than $5.00 an hr, plus tips, regularly get stiffed.  Now, who does this?  Why, I ask you, does this happen to the ones who have to wait tables, or cut hair, or give massages? 

For those of you that don't know, there are more people in this country who rely on tips than just the girl or boy who waits tables at the local steakhouse.  Do you tip your hair stylist? What about your massage therapist, do you tip them?  The point that I'm trying to make is that, despite what some may think about the service industry, we count on giving you the best service we can give, so you can leave us a small token of appreciation in the form of a monetary tip.  Now, in addition to money, I have left tips like, never eat yellow snow, and things like that, but, I have always left money (unless the service was really bad, in that case, I leave the change in my purse).  It hasn't always been in the middle of the table, but, everyone is young once. 

Why do we tip?  What's the purpose?  When did it become the normal thing to do?  We tend to tip, when the service is good.  The wait staff comes to the table to refill your water, to check to see if everything tastes OK, if the food is done to your liking.  They are timely in greeting you and getting your order to you, as much as possible at least (there are the occasions that the cook is a bit behind and the waiters have to make up for it).  The purpose, is to show your appreciation of a job well done.  On a $5 ticket, I will leave up to $3 for good service... that's much more than your 10% - 20% that is usually expected.  Now what about your hair person?  What's a good tip for them?  Well, it depends on where you go I would say.  The girl who does my hair can expect up to $20 for a good cut and color from me.  But, for a job well done, $5-$10 is usually about the normal tip.  So then, what about a good massage?  The one that you go to the spa to get.  This one for me is a hard one, because I am a massage therapist.  I have to think about what do I want to do for this person... not in a gross way, but, what have the asked me to do?  Are they here to relax, do they have sore feet that need some love, did they wake up with a kink in their neck?  There is a lot of things to consider for this one.  Not only that, how long are they here for?  Are they here for a quick 30 minutes, or an hour, or even an hour and a half?  What do they hope to get out of it?  I know that I ask questions, and my goal for the time that I am working, I am trying to make your body feel as good as it can, given whatever damage you may have done to it.  I know that it takes a lot of energy and time, and effort into giving, not just a good massage, but a great massage... WHY DO I GET STIFFED?  I know that there are lot of people who think that just because I work in an office, I set my own prices, but, for the majority of those who work in an office, they don't set the price, nor do they see all of the money that is charged for the service.  We pay rent for our spaces, we purchase our own supplies, and for me, do my own laundry, which can be super pricey when you have to go to the laundry mat to do it twice a week. 

So what's the deal?  Are we not working hard enough for you?  Are we not pleasing to what you want or need?  Is it so hard to believe that we work for tips?  My grandmother's generation didn't tip and I used to be shocked when we would go out for dinner and my grandfather would leave a very small tip.  I never understood that, but, it was something that I never asked about.  It wasn't my business in that one.  But, that was their generation.  The generation that I see the most of, forgets that we are working to pay our bills, to feed our families and to keep our cars running. 

I want you all to know that, Tipping is not a town in China, it's how we pay the babysitter, put gas our cars to get us to work, it's the kids' lunch money and the money for their school pictures.  Think about this the next time you go out and you're watching the waitress try her hardest to make your visit to her restaurant the best time it can be, tip a little more.  When your hairstylist finishes your colors and they are the greatest and you look amazing, give him a little bit more.  When your massage therapist just makes that headache that has been bothering you all week go always, give them a little extra thanks.  Show that you appreciate the work that they do FOR YOU by tipping.  I promise, they will remember you, and take that much better care the next time you come in, whether by, getting you a good seat or a free appetizer or drink, or a little extra with your style, or work that much more into the muscles that ache, they will remember you, why not have it be for a good reason, instead of thinking of you as someone whose going to stiff them every time you walk through the door?

No comments:

Post a Comment