Monday, April 6, 2015

The state of Indiana

Already, I have been talking about what's going on with this state for the whole of the week.  It's only Wednesday and yet, this has been the topic of conversation for a while now.  I know that I was horrified to hear that this law was signed.  I was tempted to talk to my sister about it this weekend while visiting, but, decided against it for various reasons. 

Here is what I think of this.  Wow! Such anger and such deliberate intolerance of others makes for a whole lot of angry people.  I hate to say this, but, in a way, I was glad he was arrogant enough to do it.  I think it's the only way that it's been able to show that we are a country will NOT stand for such actions.  I am so glad that so many companies have pulled out of that state and that people are boycotting Indiana indefinably.  What makes me sad is seeing that they may amend the law because they are losing business left and right and without that economy, it's going to kill the state.  Now, it's all about how do we get back the money that we are losing instead of seeing it for what it really is.  Legal discrimination and bigotry.  What a horrible stain of their faces. 

Words cannot express the amount of outrage that I feel about what is going on.  Now in the news, I am seeing a pizza place that has said they will refuse catering services to any LGBT weddings but they won't have a problem with them coming in for a slice or two.  Not only that, what really made me more angry than anything was this company started a gofundme account and over the course of a week, ONE WEEK, have raised almost a million dollars from supporters... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  How incredibly ass backwards are we now? 

There was one bit of writing that I found somewhat comforting.  A man, a Christian, a pastor, had written something that made total sense.  He said that serving people at your place of business does NOT impinge upon your religious freedoms.  It's a matter of being an American and being a good person.  Now one can reserve the right to refuse service for various reasons.   Mine are if your drunk or sick.  That's the only time I cannot work on you.  But to say that making a cake for someone is hurting your religious freedoms is about as bad as and horrific as saying black people carry different diseases.  I am so tired of hearing how ones choices are hurting your freedoms. 

In our country, we have so much freedom.  We can choose any religion to practice at any time, and if we change our minds, there are no penalties for it.  We can go to college and choose any job that we want to.  We can move to any state for any reason what so ever.  We have no fears about worshiping in any manner, and yet, to say that Christians are being persecuted because they don't think they should have to serve LGBT people is the most insulting thing we can possibly say.  You're not being persecuted in any way.  You are being told to make that cake, or arrange flowers for people. 

Now, I have traveled all around the world, three times in fact, and I have found that while we may look different than each other, and we have different languages, but we are all people.  We are all here together, trying to make it in this lifetime.  We all want the same thing.  We want to love and feel love in return, we want to be secure in our lives and jobs, we want to give our kids more than what we had, and we want to be happy.  This goes across all kinds of people, everyone single living human soul on this planet.  Sure you may not want to have that kind of lifestyle but, you don't have to.  That's the beauty of our world... It's full of choices.  No one is asking you to do anything that would take away your choice of your lifestyle.  And making cakes and arranging flowers for two people who are in love is not taking away anything from you.  In fact, I would think that the more business that people got the better. 

I am shocked and appalled that anyone would support hate and spread anger throughout the land, making anyone's life harder than it should ever have to be.  Life is hard as it is.  Finding someone who shares your beliefs and looks into your eyes and sees you, the real you, is not an easy thing.  It takes most years of trial and error to find someone whom they feel safe with and loved.  It's a beautiful thing and love in all forms should be praised, not torn down by ignorant cruel people who preach from a book that they pick and choose which things they spew.  What about love?  Now, I have not been a practicing Christian for some years now, in fact, I have found for myself that it's not what I choose to go with.  However, after being raised in a church setting for the first 18 years of my life, I do recall a lot about that book.  My favorite was always the part about love.  Love knows no bounds, and something that I try to teach Piper is that love is the most powerful force on earth.  Love doesn't know what colour your skin is, or what gender you were born as.  Love is not jealous, or boastful, or mean and cruel.  Love is beautiful and wonderful and is right for everyone.  Love isn't rude or angry, it's kind and to feel it, to really feel love, is like being wrapped up in a warm blanket on a cold day.  It fills your soul and makes you know that anything is possible.  Love never ends.  Why does our compassion end when dealing with people who are different than we are? 

I will continue to fight for my friends who deserve to be treated fairly and enjoy everything in our country that any straight person gets to enjoy.  I will do anything I can to help,  because that's just the way that I am.  It's not right to hurt because you're ignorant, it's just a black on your soul and I hope that someday, if you fall into the category of persons who think that this kind of discrimination is ok, that one day, you will see that, that kind of thinking only hurts people.  Gay marriage is not gay marriage, it's just marriage.  It's just two people who love each other and want to spend their live together.  Please understand, they are not negating your marriage in any way.  It doesn't lessen your commitment any by allowing them to have the same rights you have....

~End rant~  For now...

No comments:

Post a Comment