Wednesday, December 18, 2013

8 pieces of 9

I had said recently that I would be writing about the summer after I graduated, so I thought I would get that done.  It really, for me was about a huge change that took place for me.  I was in a whole new world and I was loving it.  It really did change the course of my life, and I am so glad that it all happened.

That summer was going to be awesome!! A week after graduating high school, I was going to Europe for 6 weeks.  And holy cow, was I stoked about it!  First of all, 6 weeks of not working, who can not be happy about that.  I was so looking forward to it.  There was going to be so much fun, I couldn't hardly wait.  However, there was that thing about flying over the big blue pond.  I know for me, I would dream about crashing into the water and dying a slow horrible death, being eaten by a ferocious school of hammerhead sharks.  Funny now that I think of it really.

So, just before I left the country for the second time, I helped my mom plant our garden.  It was going to massive this year.  We had onions and zucchinis and all sorts of other things that I don't like to eat.  I remember we had gotten me some new clothes, tanks and pants and I was wearing one of the new tanks while planting, it didn't go all the way to my but when I leaned over, so there was this really pretty red line on my back side.  Ouch! 

When we left Arizona, we took a non-stop flight to Germany, then an hour flight to Munich.  Since we left in the morning, we got there in the afternoon and the flight was about 10 hours long.  Talk about super tired when we got there.  I know that we got to our hotel rooms, and all of us wanted to sleep, but, we weren't allowed to.  We were to go out sight seeing until evening, and then we could finally sleep.  I have no idea what we did that day.  I don't even remember who I was rooming with the first few nights.  Mostly, I think they were friends of Lexi's but, then, most of the German club loved my sister and thought I was a total wack job.  And they were all mad at me because I snore... like I could help that.  The first few days, we spent in Munich were so much fun.  It was the first time that I had ever ridden on the subway and we went to go see so many different museums and saw so much, it was a blast. 

Our next stop was somewhere else.  I think we went to Austria, to Vienna... I could be wrong, it could have been Saltzberg too.. Anyhow, it was an amazing time.  After spending a few days there, we went to Slovakia to Spišské Podhradie.  A small village at the base of one of the oldest castles in Western Europe, although, I would say we were getting more into the eastern block.  We were to be staying with families... with another person from our group.  I got to stay with this amazing family and a girl that didn't like me very much.  Maybe we were too much alike, but, for whatever reason, she and I did not ever get along... From the first time that we ever had to interact with each other.  And she made it a point to make sure that I knew how much she disliked me.  I wanted nothing more than to have a good time and enjoy the place that we were in, and it just didn't happen.  Not only that, we were to sleep in the same bed.  Lucky us.  (To this day, whenever I say something to the effect of I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, she's the one that I think of.  Though, I don't wish anything bad for Holly, I have found that life is hard enough and I don't know what her walk is about.  I do hope for good things for her and that she's happy... Most of the time that is >:)  It was a hard few days that we had to deal with and we got through it, though, at the time, it was the worst thing in the world for her.  The castle was so neat.  It was in ruins but it held so much magic in the air that it was nearly tangible.  I was in awe of the whole place and what it was and what it had once been.  Today, to see pictures of the castle and realize that I have been there, is so cool.  I still find it hard to believe that I was there! I have seen it!  I wish I could still see that in my dreams instead of trying to find aft diesel, but, that's another story. 

With the castle behind us, we headed back west towards Austria again, and this time, we were stopping in the capital of Slovakia, Bratislava.  Once again, I got to room with Holly and this time, she was really not happy about having to share a room with me.  I mean, I snore and she jut couldn't handle it.  I tried to apologize and move rooms, but, I don't remember if that happened or not.  All I know was that I was miserable and wishing things were different.  We got settled into our rooms and we went to the ballet one of the nights we were there.  I was so excited to go, I haven't actually gone to the ballet since then.  We went to go see Swan Lake.  It was so pretty and so neat, I was in love.  I didn't even care if I was on the trip from hell with the wicked witch of the west.  We went to eat at a place, I think it was called the Spaghetti House, I'm not too sure about that, and I remember having crystal glasses that we were playing with.  Once again, I am sure I was the one in trouble for it.  Next our trip took us to Saltzberg... I think.  Spent a few days there, went to the salt mines, saw the house where they shot the film The Sound of Music, sat on the wall of the fortress that sits above the city... got in trouble for sitting on the wall too. Got to see where Mozart was born, sat in the cafe just across it in fact.  Saw the chapel they used in the wedding scene of The Sound Of Music.  It was so magical for me.  Despite other factors that could have made it a bad trip.

At last, our journey with the traveling part of the time was coming to a close and soon we were going to be with our host families from the school that we had a partnership with.  I was going to stay with Annina and her family, I was so relieved to be done with the traveling all the time.  We traveled a lot of the time by train, so, that was nice, and soon, we were there.  That first night that she came to pick me up was, fun.  She picked me up and we drove to the mountains where we went to a party with some of her friends.  I met her boyfriend, Daniel.  It was good times.  I can say that as far as the things that we weren't suppose to do, no smoking, no drinking, obviously no drugs and certainly no sex allowed, I never did any drugs while I was there.  I was bad, yes, I slept with a dude one of the first nights, and I have never regretted that, for the whole of my life thus far!!!  The place, the weather, the time of year, everything was like a dream, just surreal and beautiful.  Anyhow, as far as being a good exchange student goes, maybe I wasn't the best.  But, I had a hell of a good time!  I tell people if you ever get the chance to go and see other places like that, do it! Always do it!!! You will never regret it. 

The time that I spent there is mostly a blur for me now.  Not because I was drunk, (like being in the Navy) but because it's been a while, and details tend to get somewhat fuzzy for me.  I know that I have it written down somewhere, but, I am not too sure where that journal is at, at the present time.  I do remember calling home towards the end of my stay and talking to Lexi, (I wished so much that she was there with me, it just wasn't fair that she wasn't) and she was telling me about Rainbow People who were on the mountain and they were like hippies and I remember thinking that I wanted to be there so I could go experience these Rainbow people.  And little things I remember, like, watching the news and they were talking about President Bill Clinton and the newscasters started to laugh... And the music... I can still listen to it, and think of all the people that I met while I was there.  It was the time of my life, and I look back at it with a lot of fond memories.  Like Paris and eating Creme Brulee there.  Or seeing Norte Dame and walking in it.  Or the feel of the rain on my face or the black forest or the Stihl school.  But then I came home, and that was the beginning of the most fun I had ever had with my sister, besides A school... But, that's for another time, and wow... what a time it was :)

No comments:

Post a Comment