Tuesday, November 10, 2015

When did we become so easily offended?

This holiday season is one that I am looking forward to.  I am excited by it, I love the holidays.  Not because of gifts or anything like that, but, because of the season itself.  So then, why are we already seeing so many people offended by... are you ready for this one, a red cup. 

So, in hearing about this one, I knew I had to say something about it.  Our easily offended delicate natures are up in arms because it's not Christmasy enough.  It's a disposable coffee cup, that is red, with a white lid and the company logo on it.  That's it.  There is nothing else on it, there is no snowflakes to indicate winter season, no saying on it to wish anyone a happy winter holiday.  Nothing like that, it's just red.  Wow, it seems so obvious to me now.  Am I the only one that thinks this is just about as ridiculous as can be? 

People were offended because things said Merry Christmas, and what if they didn't celebrate that day, why should they have to be told something that if they don't believe in.  So then, in answer to that, we started to see things with Merry X-Mas, to let those know that we are trying to be more adaptable to other people's feelings.  But that's not cool... You have taken Christ out of Christmas and that's just sacrilegious because Christ is the reason for the season... So, we cautiously  put in here and there, just to those we know will or won't get offended by our words. 

When does this stop though?  When do we stop getting so upset by something that has nothing to do with us?  When are going to see that the actions of a small number of people are just that, their own actions?  When do we stop trying to blame others for our delicate sensibilities?  Personally, there are only one thing that really offends me.  Joking about rape, because, well, there is nothing funny about it.  And if you think there is, we aren't friends for a reason, due to the fact that, to me, there isn't anything funny about it.  Most people who have been brutalized in such a way don't think it's funny.  Ever.  Not even a little bit, not even in a joke.  That's the biggest one for me.  I can be offended by others but, if I do, then I let them have my power so I try not to get offended by little things.

And all of this pales in utter comparison to the fact that we should be paying attention to the world around us.  The one where we live, where the United States just gave Israel another 30 billion in aid.  Where in the world does a nation with a trillion dollar deficit get an extra 30 billion to give to anyone else.  Wouldn't we put that to better use maybe helping those who live here by fixing problems with the VA?  When is Israel going to pay us back?  Are we going to get the money back or are we just writing checks with a never ending bank account?  Where does this stop?    How can we as a nation say that we are in such financial dire straights and can't balance the budget and there are more and more cuts to Medicare and Social Security and we are giving other countries BILLIONS of dollars!! I think we have some of our priorities a little out of whack. 

I think we need to start taking a step back and realizing that we have become so narcissistic that we are unable to see anyone else's opinions.  We need to re-learn what it means to be humble and grateful and not so focused on stupid things that really aren't that important.  We need to take back our much-ness.  We use to be much more much-ier and now, we are not.  We seem to be a bunch of self entitled, internet dependent, instant gratification, assuming, easily offended brats.   I for one don't want to leave this place feeling like that is what I have left for my girls.  I am doing something about it.  I am teaching them to be quick to think, yet slow to reply.  Use manners, think before speaking, use sarcasim in moderation, the world already has an abundance of smart-asses.  I hope what I leave behind is a world they are ready for, because quite frankly, I am not pleased with it.  I am working to change it though... What are you doing to make it better?

No comments:

Post a Comment