Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Marriage today

No, I'm not getting married, so stop thinking that.  However, I have been trying really hard to not pay attention to the media and all that's in it in regards to the (scary for some) subject of same sex marriage.

Now, to me, I can't understand why there are so many people against it.  I mean I hear the rhetoric of how it's against God's law and that it's so terrible, yet, as I was taking a shower yesterday morning, it occurred to me, a verse from the Bible.  It goes something like, 7 Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love. 9 God's love was revealed among us in this way: God sent his only Son into the world so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Beloved, since God loved us so much, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God lives in us, and his love is perfected in us. 1 John 4: 7-12

'beloved, let us love one another.'  Let's take this one small bit of a sentence and dissect it like good 'Bible following people' that we are.  I don't see that in this sentence it says, let us love one another, except for gay people.  I don't see anywhere in the Bible that it says anything like that, so I really have a serious issue with those who think that they are above loving one another and being openly "Good Christians" and still practice hate and bigotry.

 Let us love one another.  I don't see that happening in my lifetime.  I can hope for it, but, to be realistic here, it's not going to happen.  Too many people only see the outer differences of the ones that they hate.  Skin color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, creed.. all things that make us different, yet, if you cut me open, my blood is still just as red as anyone else's.  My organs are the same as my boyfriends, save the reproduction and hormones parts, but overall, we have a liver, and kidneys.  We both have a brain and hands and arms.  I think it's sad to know that hate is not something that we are born with, it's what we are taught.  I have a seen a theory and it says that if we were to teach our children to meditate everyday, we could eliminate war and hate within one generation.  ONE generation!!  Can you imagine that?  If all the kids from Generation X taught their kids to quiet their minds, breathe deeply and focus, we could end all the hate and anger and the things that tear us apart as society.  Wow, that's pretty powerful.  I work on teaching Piper everyday, the value of breathing deeply.   

Love... what is love?  Are we even capable of love, I mean, really true, unconditional love?  As humans, I say yes, we are capable.  Humans are the ones who have come up with the idea of love, so, are we able to really understand what it means to love.  Humans are the ones who have deiced that killing is wrong, yet, other species will kill their young, including dogs and cats, but we love our pets.  Tangent there, I know... not too long though, so I am getting better with them.  I would have to say that when I really learned what it was to love, was after Piper was born.  I think for me, love is feeling more emotions for another person and putting their best interests before mine.  Not because I have to, but because I want to.  I want to take the best care of my family that I can.  I want to make sure that both the girls are happy and smile and feel like they are loved.  I want to see their smiles when they sleep because they know that they are safe and happy and loved.

There have been studies done on different continents about how if you were take a group of babies, feed them, clothe them, bath them, change them and put them down they will not survive because they are lacking human touch, that all important contact with another who care for them.  In the same study done, other babies had the exact same needs met, but they were held, and talked to and they're mortality rate was much less than that of the first group.  Why is this so?  Is it love?  Can we survive without it, or is it something much deeper than what our physical needs are that must be met in order to survive.  As babies and elderly people, I think the more hugs, the better.  For the group in the middle, I still say that hugs are the most important thing, but, when life happens, as it does to all of us, we tend to look at it as something that we don't need.  We can survive with out it.  And there are those who do survive for a very long time without any physical contact with others, but, look at the way that they are.  Most are hard and very abrasive in nature.  And when they are faced with the prospect of a relationship that involves hugs, they are unsure how to react to it, as if it's taboo to touch another human being.  How very sad... At least, in my opinion it is.

So what does this have to do with marriage today?  Not like, today, Tuesday, but today in our society, the 21st century kind of today.  I think that every single person in this world, wants and desires to feel that kind of love where you wake up smiling thinking about someone.  They want to know what it feels like to live with little sleep, have daydreams of that wonderful person that they have fallen head over heels for.  They crave the touch of that other person in ways that is hard to explain.  They simply want to be happy with another person. 

Why does it make such a huge difference to religious organizations whether or not that person is male or female?  Doesn't your bible teach of tolerance and love for one another?  Doesn't it say that we should treat others the way that you want to be treated?  I have yet to see in there, anywhere, a passage that says, "Love one another, except for fags" or where it says, "Treat others the way you wish to be treated, except for fags, because they are not like you".  I checked with the Goddess, she doesn't say that in any way.  It's more a message of love and joy and spreading it through all of mankind. 

Why is it, in America today, if you love someone who is the same gender as you, you cannot marry them?  Does this some how invalidate your marriage?  I have seen more hate and venom spewed at those who only want to love and live their life in a peaceful manner by those who carry that book around than I can to count.  It's makes no sense to me.  It's OK to poison our food and then turn around and say that it's illegal to smoke pot.  You can use your religious views to say whatever you want under the freedom of speech, and yet you use that same religion to tell others what they can and cannot do because of what your book says.  How hypocritical can you possibly be?!  You go to your churches and use fear and guilt to control your populations.  And yet, here it is, in your book that it says, "Let us love one another... God is of love.... We also ought to love one another."  Shouldn't that mean that God loves all manner of people?  I have to say, and I may offend here, that book that you so lovingly cling to, wasn't written by God, it was written by man.  I have long wondered how is it, that the New Testament has Jesus' words printed in red, when the books weren't even written until at least 40 years after he had died?  There are many things that I ponder on a regular basis, but, I cannot bring it all up here, it would take too long. 

I have said it once and I will say it again, there shouldn't be a line between same sex marriage or heterosexual marriage.  It's all marriage to me.  It's about committing ones self to another for the rest of their lives.  To take vows in front of family and friends to say that they will always honor that commitment and then making it work for them.  There shouldn't be a line to differentiate between gay or straight marriage, it's just marriage.  It's a promise, and more often than not, the marriage takes place long before the vows do, or at least I think it should.  It's that moment when you look at each other, know that the commitment is real and tell each other that you want to make it work.  That, you will be there for each other, and that you are serious about your decision.  And it's YOUR decision, not the government's, not the churches, not your parents', not anyone else's, it's yours.  Marriage is more than a ceremony, and it's more than a piece of paper, it's a decision, and no one can do that, except for you. 

There are those who will disagree with me on this one, for a number of reasons, and that's OK, I don't expect everyone to share my views on this.  That's OK with me, I understand, because I don't always agree with what is put out there.  I see so much of the news that I am pretty sure is just part of the opinions column in the newspaper, how wonderful that we all take it for, pardon the expression, gospel.  I just want people to open their eyes and see what is really going on.  The more you learn about other people, the more you are to better understand what is going on our world.  I didn't always think the way that I do now, (though on this subject, yes I did) but I have changed in a lot of ways, for the better, I hope.  Anyhow, it's late, and I'm pretty tired right now, guess I'll go to bed now....... Remember, mind open, heart enlarged, soul receptive... I love you <3 Peace :)

No comments:

Post a Comment